PILGRIMAGE DAY
Saturday 26th September
Eve of Stella Maris
The Shrine of Our Lady of Bradstowe (Anglican), @ Holy Trinity Church, Broadstairs.
The Ancient Shrine
It may be that the original shrine to the Blessed Virgin Mary in Broadstairs dates back to before 1070, but the first authenticated reference to the shrine was in 1349. The shrine was situated in a small fishing hamlet called Bradstowe at the top of some broad stairs carved into the chalk cliff, the very stairs from which the community derives its modern name. By 1451 the shrine was also a seamark and lighthouse, shining out a blue light to warn the passing vessels of the shoals along the coast and to guide them into the harbour.
The shrine housed an image of the Virgin Mary of painted wood, which was venerated under the titles of Our Lady of Bradstowe, Stella Maris (Star of the Sea). Edward Hasted's 'History of Kent' Volume 10, published in 1800, states, “her image, which was held in such veneration, that the ships as they sailed by this place, used to lower their topsails to salute it.”
It seems that the Virgin Mary was also venerated under the title of Our Lady of Pity, as the statue was known to weep if bad weather was on its way, and the sailors of the Bradstowe would not set out to sea on such days. Sadly, the shrine was destroyed by a tidal wave a few years after the storm of 1500 and the chantry chapel was suppressed by Henry VIII.
The two aspects of Our Lady of Bradstowe, both as Star of the Sea (the polestar of the faithful) and of Pity are reflective of her maternal care for the faithful and of the maritime nature of the community the shrine served.
The remains of the shrine and the chantry were used to build a chapel on the site, which has undergone many restorations and uses, most recently becoming Saint Mary’s Chapel Bar. Most obvious are the medieval door and window arches. Not only does this building mark the place of the shrine, but it also preserves some of its features.
The Anglican Shrine
Awareness of the shrine was not lost in the local area, and as the town grew from the nineteenth century the connection was consciously cultivated. The motto of the town council is “Stella Maris”, the Roman Catholic Church is dedicated to “Our Lady, Star of the Sea” and opposite St Mary’s Chapel a statue of Our Lady was placed on the wall.
The Church of England Parish was aware of the ancient past, having owned the chapel for a while and used it as a parish room.
In 1980, it was decided to commission an image of Our Lady of Bradstowe for the Lady Chapel of Holy Trinity Church, when Fr Eric Powe was Rector, consciously restoring a shrine. The sculptor was the famous Essex sculptor and artist, John Doubleday.
The Pilgrimage Day
Pilgrimage is a natural part of christianity, a faith that proclaims that we are to follow Jesus, who accompanies us on the way.
Holy Trinity Church is organising the pilgrimage as a time to celebrate both the grace of God in Mary the Mother of Jesus Christ, and her response of love for love to God in her God-bearing. It is imagined as a time of worship, reconciliation and healing, with time to visit the site of the Chapel and to share fellowship.
As an inclusive church in the Catholic Tradition, both women and men in priestly orders are welcomed to concelebrate, subject to the usual checks. Readers, Deacons and other clergy are welcome to robe by prior arrangement.
Practicalities
Travel: The Church is a 12 minute walk from the Train Station, and parking is available in public car parks (none at the church).
Food: Tea and Coffee will be served in church. Please bring your own lunch, or make your own arrangements in the many eateries in town.
Accessibility: There is a level access entrance to the church, and a loop system available. Sign support can be arranged with prior arrangement.
Timetable:
10am: Rosary - In St Mary’s Chapel Bar
12noon: Pilgrimage Mass, Preacher: Fr Sebastian Hamilton
2pm: Healing Mysteries
3pm: Sermon & Benediction
Fr Clive Hillman
Rector of Holy Trinity, Broadstairs.